Cairo: Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi and US President Donald Trump discussed in a phone call the mediation initiatives aimed at restoring regional stability.
Trump said Tuesday that he had a positive conversation with Egyptian counterpart on issues including Gaza.
“My telephone call with President El-Sisi, of Egypt, went very well,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
He said that the two spoke about the “tremendous military progress” by the United States in strikes against Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militia, which has been attacking Red Sea shipping in solidarity with the Palestinians.
Trump said that they also discussed Gaza, “and possible solutions, Military preparedness, etc.”
Earlier in February, Trump had stunned the region by proposing the mass displacement of war-ravaged Gaza’s population.
Egypt, which borders Gaza, came up with its own plan that would finance reconstruction of the territory. The US State Department replied at the time that it did not meet Washington’s expectations.
Egypt has been one of the top recipients of US aid since it became the first Arab nation to make peace with Israel. The United States gives more than $1 billion in military assistance a year to Egypt, with Trump exempting it from sweeping cuts in US aid.
Security of Red Sea navigation emphasized
On Tuesday, following the phone call, the Egyptian presidency emphasized that these efforts would positively influence Red Sea navigation and mitigate economic losses for all stakeholders.
Ambassador Mohamed El-Shenawy, the official spokesperson for the Egyptian Presidency, stated that the call received by the Egyptian President from his American counterpart addressed the importance of coordination to contain regional tensions, and the necessity of supporting efforts aimed at stopping the escalation in a manner that preserves the security of navigation in the Red Sea and prevent further economic losses for all parties.
(Courtesy WAM and Agencies)